Obesity and stress are two problems that are increasing among children. To prevent them, sport is one of our best allies. We tell you what kind of exercise is right for every age and what precautions should be taken.
Your child should be to decide what sport you want to practice that should be fun. You can help you discover the advantages and disadvantages of various options, advise you based on your skills and your tastes … but finally he has to be the one to feel satisfied with your choice. Nor it is important to try several or do a little of everything. It is not about creating a professional sport, but do exercise.
But if it is particularly skilled or is willing to go further, contact a professional who will advise the best way forward for his age, considering that the career demands a great physical and psychological effort and is not always advisable for a child. And if it happens to the competition, never forget that when sport becomes something whose only goal is victory, it ceases to be fun and lose many of its advantages. Here we point out the main according to the sport practiced.
• Judo and karate. Promote the coordination of movements. They are progressive activities that are easily adapted to each child, so you can start very early, around four years.
• Swimming. It is the sport of excellence, improves coordination and endurance and also is very desirable to correct postural problems such as scoliosis. Another advantage is that it can be started from a very young age.
• Cycling. It’s a great sport for the entire family.
• Tennis. It provides strength and power while favoring eye coordination.
• Team sports. Football, basketball or handball, among others, besides working fitness, serve the child to interact and learn to cooperate with the group.
• Skiing. In the physical realm, improves balance and strengthens the muscles. On a personal level puts the child in touch with nature and can be practiced with your family.
• Canoeing. It requires great physical strength, so it is suitable for children accustomed to physical activity, from 10 or 12 years.
• Rhythmic gymnastics. It is a sport that favors progressive, especially flexibility, but should be practiced in moderation, as its excess can have unintended consequences on a body that is still developing.
• Skate. Develops balance and coordination of movement. Also, scooters are recommended. Find the best scooter for kids.
A lot of advantages
What does the sport the child? These are the main benefits:
• It’s good for fitness: coordination of movements, higher resistance, and strength, obesity prevention, health enhancement …
• Improves self-esteem more confident and more fighter enhancing their resilience to increasing frustration and tenacity to achieve the desired goal. It also helps you accept your limitations.
• Help your socialization and teach you how to cooperate with the group in search of a common goal.
• It becomes a hobby that helps you fill much of their leisure time in a healthy way, which is important in the face of adolescence to prevent approach to drugs and drink or simply abuse sedentary practices such as watching TV or playing video games.
The most appropriate exercise by age
The Heart Foundation recommends different activities depending on the age of the child or the child:
Up to 8 years
It is good to exercise coordination and balance, and help them develop a sense of rhythm and space, for example, activities in which dance, climb, jump …
From 8 to 12 years
It is the ideal starting point for sports period. It is also good activities that contribute to exercise endurance and strength.
From 12 to 14 years
If a sport is practiced, you can increase the training and, if the child wants, enter a team to participate in competitions to encourage motivation.
Tips and precautions
- Experts recommend practicing at least 60 minutes a day of sport.
- Exercise should be started moderately and go slowly intensifying.
- Do not forget hydration: children should drink water before, during and after exercise.
- If the child is obese, it is necessary to plan specific training before racing activities.
- The long distance races are not advised before maturity.
To encourage and motivate the child to exercise, it can not be presented as an obligation, but as something fun. Ask him what sport he likes and search activities linked to terrorism. In addition, give an example: you can organize family activities like bike routes or walk, go skating or dance all together at home.